Metal Guide

History of Gold:

Gold is an extremely soft metal. Gold was first discovered as shinning, yellow nuggets. Gold became a part of every human culture. Its brilliance, natural beauty, and luster, and its great malleability and resistance to tarnish made it enjoyable to wear. Gold was first used as money in 700 B.C., in Greece.

Gold has staggering variety of uses. Its unique properties keep demand high and the relative scarcity of the metal insures continued value. Gold is unaffected by air, water, and even by most acids.

A lifetime of wealth will fit in your pocket.

  • 9karat gold is 37.5%: That is 9/24 parts of it are pure gold and the remaining 62.5% is another metal.
  • 14karat gold is 58.3%: That is 14/24 parts of it are pure gold and the remaining 41.6% is another metal.
  • 18karat gold is 75%: That is 18/24 parts of it are pure gold. This is most popular karat for gold jewelry, as its strength copes well with holding gemstones such as diamonds and emeralds.
  • 22karat gold is 91.6%: That is 22/24 parts of it by mass are pure gold. Most high quality gold jewelry is made.
  • 24karat gold is pure and is seen only in billion bars.


When two metals are dissolved in each other (as is the case with alloys), the color is often mixture of the two. For example, copper dissolved in gold changes the color from yellow-gold to red-gold. Silver dissolved in gold creates a green-gold color. White gold contains palladium and silver. Pure gold is slightly reddish yellow in color.

BIS Hallmark:

The BIS Hallmark is a hallmarking system for gold as well as silver jewelry sold in India certifying to the purity of the metal. It certifies that the piece of jewelry conforms to a set of standards laid by the Bureau of Indian standards, the national standards organization of India. India is the second biggest market for gold and its jewelry.

The BIS hallmark for gold jewelry consists of several components:

  • The BIS logo
  • A three digit number indicating the purity of the gold in part-per- thousand-format.
  • Logo of the assaying centre.
  • A code denoting the date of hallmarking.
  • Logo/code of the jeweler.

The jewelers with BIS license of Hallmark Gold jewelry provide clear indication of their capabilities, strong evidence of their commitment to quality, assurance of consistence in purity and quality of gold jewelry.

Your Cart
Your cart is emptyReturn to Shop
× How can I help you?